Did you know that the lack of sleep could kill you? Yes, you heard it right. The lack of sleep or being deprived of sleep could kill a person.
For simple reasons, not sleeping is depriving your body of its ability to rest and repair itself, if you are not able to get sleep for five days, your organs and different systems in your body begin to shut down because it is both restless and unable to repair itself. According to health experts, a person can only last roughly a month without sleep.
However, there is no documented cases that link to a person getting himself killed for not sleeping, however, there are instances that your body malfunctions if you deprive yourself of sleep just like what you read or watched on the news about people who play video games for two days straight who suffered cardiac arrest.
Sleep deprivation can cause deadly diseases that will surely kill you, like cancer. If you are having sleep problems, you should follow these very helpful tips from the best silk pillowcases & sleep retreat in Australia to achieve the desired number of hours in sleeping to keep yourself entirely healthy.
- Synchronize your body’s natural sleep-wake cycle– If you are able to sync with your body’s natural sleep-wake cycle, you will be able to achieve a circadian rhythm that is one of the best strategies to sleep better. If you discipline yourself to have a regular sleep-wake schedule, you will feel more refreshed and energized compared to sleeping the same number of hours at different time frames. Try sleeping at the same time every day because eventually and not long enough, your body will get used to it and you will feel drowsy when the clock hits your preferred time to sleep.
- Avoid sleeping during the day– If you have to run some errands on a late-night, try getting a daytime nap after rather than sleeping the next night, because you allow your body to pay off your sleep debt without disrupting your synchronized sleep-wake cycle that you are already doing.
- Shorten your nap– Everyone deserves a nap in the middle of the day especially those who are busy doing their work. However, doing naps especially late afternoon can disrupt your synchronized sleep-wake cycle. Also, make sure your nap will not last more than an hour. The standard energy-giving nap only lasts 20 to 30 minutes.
- Free yourself from any distraction– One of the most common things that distract you from sleeping is the light in your room. You should turn off the lights in your room. Make sure your room is cold, make sure you place your phone far away from your bed and make sure there are no distracting sounds in and outside your room that can disrupt your sleep.
- Drink a warm glass of milk- Probably, the most popular way to help yourself induce sleepiness, drinking a warm glass of milk an hour before your bedtime is proven medically to produce serotonin, a substance that helps you sleep easily. Also, you should take a hot shower first to relax your body, and make sure your room has a cold temperature.